Sunday, May 6, 2007

Comment on Slashdot article

I was just persusing the articles in my slashdot newsfeed and came across an interesting article. The article is entitled Google's Data-Storage Fuels Privacy Fears. The article discusses how Google, Inc. has developed a new feature that can track a Google users web history. Google users can sign up to have Google keep detailed records of every website they visit so they can find them again later with ease. The issue with this new feature is that Google has recently agreed to aquire Double-Click, which distributes web ads and tracks where people go on the internet. People are beginning to have privacy concerns about Google. The combination of information on users that Google and Double Click has is huge, and people are now fearing that their privacy may be threatened by this abundnace of information on them.
I agree with the privacy concerns. The collection of information that Google would have on its users would be tremendous. They would know exactly what sites users are viewing and where they are going on the internet. They could then use this information to help with Double Click's profits. I would be skeptical to sign up for this new service because I wouldnt want people knowing what my every move on the internet was. I think it is kind of creepy that someone could know that much information about me.

2 comments:

Kathleen Albright said...

I think we talked about this article in class, but I agree with the fact that you said that having someone track your every move on the internet is creepy. It does seem like a privacy infringement, but I also agree that there are some positives for the user, Google, and Double Click. Like you said Double Click would definitely profit from this and Google would also profit. Google would be able to collect information on which sites people visit and when which would help them with research in order to maximize Google's search potential. This also can be a great thing for users. I don't know about everyone else, but sometimes when I am researching something I forget to add the site to my favorites or forget to write the site name down. Then when I go back to look for it I cannot find it anywhere! If I had this Google history feature I would be able to find that site right away, which would save lots of time and effort which is always a good thing. Also I think it is good that you have to sign up for this feature and they did not have to make this voluntary, but they did to protect the privacy of those users who want that added protection. All in all, I think this feature is a good one and the people who do not like it simply just do you have to sign up for it.

Jerskine said...

Thats a good point Kathleen. I didnt even think about the countless times I have forgotten to add a website into my favorites, and then never been able to find it again. I Google had it in my history, the website would be easy to track down. The fact that it is voluntary also helps with the privacy issue. I guess it is a good feature in a way.