Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Mixed Media handout comments

I just wanted to comment on the handout entitled "Mixed Media" that we went over in class on Monday. The article basically discusses the change in networking and media over the years. Many years ago a few networks ran the nation, and it was much easier for them to control conversation and communication. They had monoploies on the industry. Nowadays, there are soo many options. People have so many outlets for news and entertainment. Their viewpoints and expectations have also risen, and now they feel they must actively participate in the industry. The article states that the only way for old media to survive is to adapt to this new environment. Companies who take advantage of new newtorks ideas and focus on meeting expectations of the networked consumer will see themselves being able to thrive.
I totally agree with everything the article discussed. Its hard to imagine what life was like 50 years ago or so when the only way a person got news was from one of three channels, at the 10 o'clock news time. I dont think I have actually watched the news on tv for information in a very long time. Everyday when I sign online, I got to my browsers homepage, and I get a newsfeed on the top stories of the day. That is good enough for me, I dont need to read the paper or tune into the news on tv. I feel like many peoeple like me feel the same way. We want our news easy to reach, and when we want it.
With the everchanging world, the only way older companies and networks will be able to keep up is by adapting and changing. and the better change fast, because before you know it, another way to get news and information will be available.

I also wanted to briefly comment on the other article we received on Monday, pertaining to Professor Brown's involvement with his website and work with Barbaro. I didn't realize that he was so famous in the horse and internet world. Its pretty cool to see articles about him, and see his picture in the local papers. Honestly, I didnt know who Barbaro was until this class, and now I feel like a whole new world has been opened up to me. So I just wanted to say congratulations to Professor Brown for his well deserved notice and attention.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Jess I totally feel the same about media today - newspapers and other traditional forms of media are going to have to work hard to stay afloat by doing things such as creating websites.
The constant desire for the most recent and updated news is a big challenge for the news media world, and the Internet is a very useful tool in that sense. And you're right about watching TV for news - to be perfectly honest, anything I ever want to know I just "google" it!

And good call Jess because Professor Brown you totally deserve some credit and recognition for all of your hard work with Barbaro - it's cool that we now know you..I think you're getting famous!